More about yesterday. I am sure this guy who was substituting is a nice guy. I just don't think he is meant to sub for 1st grade. He didn't know how to control the kids. He worried more about going to recess then doing what they were supposed to do. They do centers every morning where they spend about 10 minutes working at a different station and do different activities. I usually am there for Thursday centers but I had just worked out and needed to shower. I went home got dressed went back and he was reading his romance novel while he was supposed to be working with the kids. He put it away as soon as he saw me of course. Then he sent them to recess 10 minutes early and they stayed outside for almost 40 minutes. That sent Novalee into a coughing fit with the cold. I kept trying to get her to go inside but it was still recess time and she didn't want to. I went over to him to tell him it was time to go in and he was getting annoyed because the kids were putting little stickers on him just like 3 and he didn't like it. Then Harley and another girl ran up playing and bumped the bell not even dropping it and I know it wouldn't even hurt it if it had dropped, and he was mad at that and told them to not do that. They go inside and he tells the kids to start working on a book and then he asks me to watch the class for a minute so he could go to the bathroom. When he came back he just sat at the table and watched them. He just isn't meant for kids. He kept getting mad at them for being kids and talking. They are only in 1st grade and I have seen them act worse.
I had the hardest time taking Novalee home since she was sick from her coughing. I went to the office and talked about the sub and unfortunately they aren't able to not have him come back today. I just felt so guilty for leaving all the other kids in there. I have grown attached to them as I have come in to help and gone to play with them at recess which Harley and Gunnar love to do and it gets them tired. I can't even imagine how attached Miss Crane must be, she devotes so much to the whole class and they are all used to all that she does for them so this guy is quite different from what they are used to.
The choice for today is whether to take Novalee to school today or not. She has already missed days since she hasn't gotten over her cough entirely from when she had bronchitits in January. This has happened before, the doctor says that she has allergies that get bad when she gets sick and last time she didn't get better until June. We try so many types of medicine but nothing really works.
Jason on the other hand doesn't trust this guy to teach kids and told me that Novalee should stay home. I should because I don't trust him either but I just worry about the attendance thing. I don't know what do you think?
1 comment:
I think keep her home. She's a smart girl, and obviously she won't be missing much. Attendance isn't a huge deal, it's only 1st grade. Don't worry. :P
Post a Comment