I am sitting at Dixon watching 4th grade boys playing basketball. We came to visit Jason and he gets home in a little over an hour so I am not going to go home and then come back to pick him up. Its so interesting sometimes to watch these how these parents talk to these kids playing basketball. I used to come with Jason all the time but as our kids have gotten older and don't just sit and watch anymore. The first year Jason did this I think was the hardest for us to get used to because the coaches would not only yell at Jason because he used to keep score and supervise the gym but they would just be so mean to the refs and the kids. Fights break out between adults watching and refs have quit because of the parents being so mean to them. Now Jason can take it all under control no problem. There was this guy who coached for a few years and I guess after he was kicked out of the games so many times, he wasn't allowed to be a coach anymore for that neighborhood. However he would still come to the games to "help". One family that we saw for a few years had a really mean dad. I would have thought it was just during basketball but, when I was working at Dixon as an aid, I worked with one of his sons and his sons friends that didn't know that I knew the family would tell me how mean his dad was all the time. Talking to Jason about it at home, he told me how they had discussed the family at a school meeting.
We have gotten to know a lot of nice people through this job and while I sometimes wish Jason would tell them he can't work, he does a great job at it.
The game just finished and we are waiting for another game to start. one thing I am sure of right now, my kids will never be in a sport where the coaches act the way they do.
2 comments:
sounds pretty crazy...
p.s. any tips on handling tantrums? nora has entered a major tantrum phase and i'm stumped!
I wish I knew Harley is on one right now, she cries over everything! It is driving me crazy. Novalee used to get mad and throw things but our little peaceful Harley is out of control!
Post a Comment